Saturday, May 7, 2011

Getting My Priorities Straight

I love being a work from home mom. However, it has it's challenges. One of the hardest I've faced so far is balancing my family life and my business. It is easy for one to butt into the time of the other.

It's a bit easier while the children are in school. The Man works nights now, so in the morning the kids leave the house by six a.m., then The Man goes to bed by 8 a.m. and all that is left is peace and quiet until my DD20 and my DS5 get up to start their day. And, honestly, even then it's pretty easy. They are both able to occupy themselves while I work and the others don't get up / home from school until 4 p.m. That is the time I use to work on my business and also my home.

Now, here's where the issue comes in. I tend to be drawn back into my work even later in the day and into the evening. I have let it become more of a priority than my family since it encroaches into 'family time'. And I need to put that to an end. So, I will be setting regularly scheduled 'business hours' for myself. If there is something I need to get done during the evening hours, it will be scheduled so that everyone knows that I will be working at that time instead of thinking I am ignoring them.

When I worked full time outside of the home I certainly didn't bring it back to the house to interfere with my family life, so why would I do it to myself now that I am my own boss? Just not gonna happen here. And I'm not going to worry about the loss of time spent on my home business. Because I believe that I will be blessed because of putting my family first, where they belong!

How do you balance your family life and your home business? I'd love to know!





No comments:

Post a Comment